Keep our children safe, respect school zone parking and driving regulations
Every year the City of Vaughan receives hundreds of complaints about school zone parking and driving violations. School zone by-laws have been established for the safety of children and pedestrians.
Please keep these tips in mind when dropping off children or driving through school zones.
Parking in school zones
- Avoid double parking.
- Watch for signs indicating No Stopping and No Parking.
- Keep Fire Routes and Bus Zones clear.
- Leave nine (9) metres between your car and crosswalks and/or stop signs – Parking to close to these locations make it difficult to see children when crossing the road.
- Ensure your children exit by the passenger side of your vehicle.
- Parking too close to private driveways upsets residents, stay back two (2) feet (0.6 metres).
- When parking across the street , use crosswalk or cross at an intersection.
Driving through school zones
- Slow down and be ready to stop at all times.
- Stop for school buses and be aware of children running in front of or behind buses.
- No U-turns are permitted in school zones.
- Passing other vehicles in a school zone is not permitted.
- Expect the unexpected. Children may cross the street at the wrong place, run into traffic or ride in front of your vehicle without warning.
- Obey all laws. Don’t travel faster than the posted speed limits.
- Avoid distraction within your vehicle and ensure your children are secured in a correctly installed child restraint seat.
- Obey crossing guard signals and yield to pedestrians.
Be part of the solution!
An increasing number of schools throughout York Region are encouraging students and their families to use active means of travel to school such as walking or biking instead of driving.
Active and Safe Routes to School programs promote increased physical activity, reduce traffic congestion and better air quality. Please check with your school to see if there is a program for you and your child.