The Way We Were: Archives Collection and Image of the Month Series

The main role of the City Archives is to manage government records with long-term business value. The City of Vaughan Archives also collects, preserves and makes available for research permanently valuable non-government records from the Vaughan community that document the rich and diverse heritage of the City of Vaughan. Every month we’ll share pieces of Vaughan’s heritage in a regular feature called The Way We Were.

To view more from the City’s archival collections, visit the City of Vaughan’s Facebook page.

***

Image of the month: Roxy Theatre, 1950

The Roxy Theatre opened in Woodbridge on Dec. 22, 1950 at the intersection of Highway 7 and Eighth Avenue (now Kipling). The first film shown was Tea for Two starring Doris Day and Gordon MacRae. Modelled after a Quonset hut, a lightweight prefabricated steel structure used as a storage facility by the U.S. military during the Second World War, it had a seating capacity of approximately 500 and was operated by Odeon Theatres before it closed in January 1961. No use was made of the property until the fall of 1966, when it was used by the Woodbridge Auction Centre Ltd. as a car sales arena and then in 1968 as a Canadian Tire. The building burned down in April of 1977. This image, depicting the exterior of the Roxy Theatre, was taken in 1950 by the Ontario Treasury Department, Motion Picture Censorship Theatre Inspection Branch.

Collection of the month: Maple Orchestra Fonds

Originating from a music night class under the auspices of the York County Board of Education in 1976, the Maple Orchestra was officially formed in 1985 by Ilse Thompson, a Maple resident and graduate of the University of Toronto’s Music Education program. In addition to Vaughan residents, members originated from a number communities including Bracebridge, Sutton, Barrie, Tottenham and Campbellville. The orchestra principally performed in the Region of York. It disbanded in 1995, with much of its membership being absorbed by the York Chamber Orchestra. The fonds spans the years 1985-95 and is comprised of meeting minutes, programmes, invitations and flyers, general observations and critiques made by the orchestra director, newspaper clippings and photographs.
  • |
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *