The Way We Were: Archives Collection and Image of the Month Series

The main role of the City Archives is to manage government records with long-term business value. The City of Vaughan Archives also collects, preserves and makes available for research permanently valuable non-government records from the Vaughan community that document the rich and diverse heritage of the City of Vaughan. Every month we’ll share pieces of Vaughan’s heritage in a regular feature called The Way We Were.

To view more from the City’s archival collections, visit the City of Vaughan’s Facebook page.

***

Image of the month: Reward Poster for Stolen Goods, 1878

This image features a poster dated May 14, 1878 offering a $40 reward for goods stolen from Samuel Smith, a farmer living near Edgeley. Among the items stolen were a bay mare, a democrat wagon, a new set of black-mounted harnesses, two buffalo robes and a few bags of wheat. One of the earliest families to settle in Vaughan Township, the Smith family arrived from Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1799. In 1801, they purchased property on Lot 7, Concession 4, which they continued to farm over the next 160 years.

Collection of the month: Bryson School Fonds

Established ca. 1865, the Bryson School, as it was commonly called, or School Section # 10, was located on the northwest corner of Lot 30, Concession 5 near the intersection of Weston and Kirby. The original school building was constructed of logs, and was located slightly south of the final structure which was constructed of red brick in 1882 at a cost of $2,200. The school was administered by a local board of trustees until 1960, when the Township School Area of Vaughan assumed this function; shortly thereafter the school was sold to Rev. B.F. Andrews, a Presbyterian minister who converted it into a residential structure. The Bryson School fonds spans the years 1865-1960 and consists of a “visitor’s book” which includes the comments of the Public School Inspector and School Superintendent during their annual inspection, as well as comments made by visiting teachers, a typed history of the school, a list of teachers, and photoprints depicting the brick structure and students in 1957.

Bailey Chui
Archives Record Analyst

Visit the City of Vaughan’s website at vaughan.ca.

  • |
  • Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *